qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] question for QEMU users

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] question for QEMU users
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:23:25 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 09:23:23AM +0100, Pavel Jan?k wrote:
>    From: Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden>
>    Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:07:36 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
>    > * Others (if you have suggestions - go ahead)..
>
> - use vmnet like approach for networking where you simply get IP from your
>   local network, no bridges, etc.
> --
> Pavel Jan?k

        I do not know how vmnet works. VDE does this (you get your IP from
the local network(1) and you don't have to deal with bridges). The problem
is that you do have firewall/router headaches sometimes.

        It would be nice if we could just run a script or program that works
on all linux systems and fixes up firewall trouble ... this is actually not
difficult to do (assuming the script knows what tapN device (basicly a kind
of ethN device) VDE is using and what the ip addresses are) it is just no one
has bothered to write a generic script to handle this yet. This script could
easily handle automaticly setting up routing as well (but for some people that
includes a kernel recompile).

        It would be nicer if the program could be used on non-nix OSes as well
(modifying a script so it works on various *nixes is not a trivial task but it
is far from unreasonably difficult). But I only use *nix OSes for qemu hosts
so I don't have to think about this part at all.

(1) This "local" network is actually a virtual network. So qemu would get its
IP for the virtual network but it would not be visible on your real LAN without
some router work. Hence the need for that magic script.