qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:33:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Magnus Damm wrote:

> And I think read-only wfat is doable

Yes, it is. That is exactly what my patch does.

> but I am not sure if operating systems would work with a read-write
> implementation where the host adds data to the wfat filesystem - I mean,
> how do we notify the guest operating system that directories or files
> have changed?

If it is no networked file system, then there is no way... apart from
using a removable device, like you suggested. But having implemented
FAT16, I'd rather go for FAT12 (floppy disks), because even DOS can work
with floppy disks out of the box, while it cannot do that with ISO9660,
let alone CDROM drives.

Ciao,
Dscho