qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD-amd64 guest, monitor does not respond

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD-amd64 guest, monitor does not respond
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:28:14 +0100 (CET)

In article <address@hidden> you write:
>Juergen Lock wrote:
>> I was curious today and tried the FreeBSD-amd64 install iso in qemu,
>>      qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256 -monitor stdio -cdrom
>> 5.3-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso -boot d
>> and, (actually i tried miniinst first, but bootonly is smaller and shows
>> the same result) qemu hangs when starting the kernel, the monitor does not
>> respond, all I can do is ^c it.  (the started kernel is supposed to print
>> messages starting with the copyright but it doesnt even get to that.)
>
>With my last patch the FreeBSD kernel boots, but user mode apps seem to
>have problems.

Seems to be some tty problem:  ^t says sysinstall is sleeping in ttyin,
if i hit return it comes up, but with garbled formatting.  I can even
start a shell on ttyv4 (cursor right and return for no to the load kernel
modules question, return until the (also misformatted) main menu appears,
`f' and return for fixit, `4' and return for shell, then `sendkey alt-f4'
in the monitor.)  The shell misses its prompt but other than that it
seems to work, at least I can do things like `pwd', `echo *', or `find .'

 So apparently some bug in qemu makes the tty code misbehave...

        Juergen