qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast target removal ?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast target removal ?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:50:08 +0100

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

I would _really_ appreciate not to spend almost
three times the amount of time and a lot more
of cpu power to wait for the kernel to boot ...

I will just disable its compilation by default, but the code will still be there for some time, so you will be able to enable it with the --target-list option.

This target is replaced by the standard QEMU with soft mmu support. The QEMU Kernel Acceleration Layer which will be unveiled very soon will give much more performance while working with unpatched guest OSes.

any numbers for that? will it be compareable?

All I can say is that for Linux or Windows user code (such as nbench), the performance is the same as the native one.

what will it require?

A small host kernel module is needed. It works with 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernels.

Fabrice.