qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] testandset asm fix

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] testandset asm fix
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:46:49 +0100

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:47:29PM +0100, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

OK. Anyway, the locking in QEMU is mostly boggus. If SMP is
implemented someday with host threads, then it will be the right
time to correct it !

Differences in strict/loose memory ordering between different
processor types will be a bigger problem for SMP emulation, IMHO.
What are your plans on that?

For x86 on x86 it won't be a problem if we use the same locking instructions. For the rest, using high level locks might suffice at the expense of efficiency. In the worst case we can simply not use threads and do explicit scheduling based on a cycle counter.

Fabrice.