qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005

From: James Mastros
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 07:21:28 +0100

Jim C. Brown wrote:
a) iEmulator wouldn't use kqemu anyway. kqemu is for running x86-on-x86. iEmulator is for x86-on-PowerPC. Thus, the iEmulator people aren't loosing anything.
But they are using qemu. If qemu was closed source, then iEmulator wouldn't have
been able to do that.
Yes, this is my point. By making kqemu closed source, he isn't hurting iEmulator, but is hurting people who do use it. The iEmulator people couldn't care less about the status of kqemu. Sure, it may have a bad effect on some other people selling qemu wrappers. It certainly has ill effects on people who are trying to run x86-on-x86, and having problems, because they can't try looking through the kqemu source, and fixing problems that may live there.

Of course qemu isnt under the GPL at all, so that is impossible. Only qemu-user
code uses the GPL license, and that is probably due to the fact that it uses
linux kernel code.
Yes, it is, read LICENSE. qemu-user is under the GPL (proper), qemu-proper and libqemu are under the lesser GPL. I'd recommend to Fabrice re-licensing under the GPL proper instead of the LGPL -- if you don't like people selling products based on qemu without them being open-source, then the GPL is probably closer to your wishes then the LGPL. (Of course, doing this requires consent from everyone you've ever taken a patch from, or removal of their modifications, which may or may not be feasible.)

qemu system emulation is under the BSD license iirc.
That'd be very silly for him to get in a huff about what is completely legal to do under the license that he chose.

If iEmulator is not breaking the GPL, then put the code into the qemu CVS. If they are, then start making quiet threats. If they don't open up, then talk to GNU, http://www.softwarefreedom.org/. If they still don't, then it's time to make loud threats -- post to /., etc.

Don't punish everybody because a few folks aren't playing by the rules.

I agree, but the main problem would be legal. If you can't get the courts
to side with you, then you're sunk.
Well, that's really not true. The main problem is economic. If you make it uneconomical for the "bad" people to behave the way they are, they will stop. You can do that by going through the courts, and obtaining a judgment, but that's quite possibly worse for you then it is for them -- even if you win.

You can also go to the court of public opinion. How many of iEmulator's customers read /.? How many would still be customers if they found out that iEmulator rips off open-source code, which they could just as well use directly, and not pay thirty bucks for, to boot? I suspect enough of them that they will want to comply with the license, and avoid embaressment.

Presumably he's going to sell kqemu, and he is using this as a test run before
he tries to sell the code to the big companies and get the megabucks. (At least
that is what I would do.)
That's a possibility. If that's true, then I hope the company that buys him out is very nice, or we're all going to be out a maintainer of an open source system emulator rather soon. I'd much rather that he sell out to the collective of his users rather then to some faceless corporate overlord who will make us all use a vmware clone, rather then an open source project I've become somewhat fond of.

        -=- James Mastros