qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Longhorn

From: Doug Stanley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Longhorn
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:12:48 -0500

I thought from what I read that longhorn required a 3d accelerator
card and relied heavily on directX. I thought it was something
crazy like you need atleast an geforce FX5200 just to run longhorn
at a decent speed...

Perhaps that's the problem? Maybe it's doing all the directX in software
and making it take twice as long...but I'm not really a windows or
longhorn expert, so I may just be talking out my a**.

Atleast it installs though right ? ;)

Doug

Darryl Dixon wrote:
Hi All,

Just for giggles I ran an install of Longhorn build 4074 on CVS Qemu today with kqemu. The install seemed to go well; the first stage didn't recognise any mouse (probably more a Windows error than a Qemu one), but was otherwise perfectly rendered (with what appeared to be a vesa video mode) and usable with the keyboard. It proceeded reasonably quickly. After the first reboot, the mouse was detected and worked, and it once again proceed reasonably quickly (vesa video mode again), up until it started detecting the hardware, at which point it stuck for around an hour (it was actually doing work and processing the whole time). During this all seemed well, and I even watched it detect the video OK and flip from 640x480 to 800x600. Once it made it past the hardware detect and booted into the actual Windows GUI, things got painful. Apparently even though the installer knows how to use vesa video, Windows itself and the standard VGA display driver it installed *don't* and so I was left with a 640x480 16 colour display that ran *agonisingly* slowly, presumably as all of the video calls were being emulated through calls to the Bochs BIOS.. It was glacial. Anyhow, I managed to soldier through a few windows to the Device Manager, and from what I could see everything except the network card had been detected OK (except of course that the video was 'Standard VGA'). Presumably the network card just needs the Win2000 RTL8029 driver like Server 2003 did. I tried to fix the video so I'd be able to give Qemu + Longhorn a proper test, but after (literally) hours to get through the driver update wizard and find that my only choice was the standard VGA or something called a 'BARCO', I gave up and wrote this short summary instead :) Presumably a more patient man would be able to install the Cirrus Win2000 driver and Longhorn on Qemu would be usable...

Many regards,
--
Darryl Dixon <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>