qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: Darryl Dixon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:32:46 +1300

Whilst I disagree with your conclusion (Qemu not ready for use!?!), what you mention about the CD is valid and a real problem.  I haven't seen Qemu crash because
of it, but in every Windows guest OS I've tried (Win98se, WinXP, Win2000, Win2003, Longhorn) you actually need to go into Explorer in the guest and tell it to eject
the CDROM (right-click -> eject) and then do the eject from the Qemu monitor and change to a new image before the Windows guest will recognise that a new disk
has been inserted.  Of course this isn't possible when actually running the OS install.

It seems that there must be some sort of event, or memory flagged when a normal CDROM Eject button is pushed that Qemu doesn't emulate.

Cheers,