qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pciproxy status?

From: Gianni Tedesco
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pciproxy status?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:25:45 +0000

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 11:22 +0100, Karsten N. Strand wrote:
>Hi,
>First I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the development of
>qemu, and that I think it's currently one of the most technical
>interesting open source projects these days. Then the question..
>
>What's the status of the pciproxy patch? Is it still work in progress,
>or have it stalled now? What about pci DMA support?

Unfortunately it's pretty much stalled due to lack of time. It should
work OK though provided your PCI device is not sharing IRQs.

PCI DMA is somewhat tricky to implement (not possible in a general way
without either patching the guest, or invasive patching of the host).

Maybe by analyzing the logs thus far, you could build some device
specific hooks for figuring out when/how to initiate DMA.

I know the gelato team have got some patches that add new syscalls to
linux for allocating buffers to userspace suitable for PCI DMA - which
is the next thing thats required once you have the address/length of the
buffers and direction of transfer.

--
// Gianni Tedesco (gianni at scaramanga dot co dot uk)
lynx --source www.scaramanga.co.uk/scaramanga.asc | gpg --import