qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Simple, bootable benchmark floppy image

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Simple, bootable benchmark floppy image
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:15:45 -0400

Hello,

we just created a simple bootable 1.44MB floppy image that runs nbench (Linux version of the old BYTEmark CPU/FPU/memory benchmark) inside a QEMU session. The nice thing is that the image boots a Linux kernel and runs nbench automatically, then "powers off" with APM causing QEMU to exit. Also, it is designed to be run with -nographic since it pipes all output to the serial port. This gives us a convenient way to quickly run standardized benchmarks and capture the output on the host.

We have made this image freely available to everyone. It can be downloaded from here:

        ftp://ftp.win4lin.com/pub/testing/nbench-qemu/

The README file contains all the relevant info, and all source/modifications used are available in the same directory.

This is very useful for us, and we hope someone else will find this useful as well. If anyone wants to link to this FTP directory from a forum for example, please feel free to do so. We can be (and have been) Slashdotted before for example, without server problems, so don't worry about distributing the link widely.

Note that this only runs on i386-softmmu targets, with or without KQEMU enabled. Anyone who needs to can theoretically port this other targets.

Enjoy,

Leo Reiter

--
Leonardo E. Reiter
Vice President of Engineering

Win4Lin, Inc.
Virtual Computing from Desktop to Data Center
Main: +1 512 339 7979
Fax: +1 512 532 6501
http://www.win4lin.com