qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:02:04 -0400

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:50:11AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> I didn't mean to implement this in qemu directly, but rather in a helper
> similar to vdeq, but the primary method should be via vde_switch. Having
> this shortcut helper is a future extension.

Ooooh! Like slirpvde.

> Inspired by this discussion I now have a prototype vde_packet glue for
> vde_switch at http://www.henriknordstrom.net/examples/vde_packet.c,
> connecting the vde_switch to the LAN via a packet socket.

Excellent work! I've attached a modified version called vde_pcap.c, which
uses libpcap to do the dirty work instead. I haven't gotten all the linuxisms
out of it yet, but it should be easy to fix. One day, this might run on Windows
hosts.

> b) can't talk to the host itself. This is due to the packets going
> directly to the wire and never really "seen" by the host stack. Not sure
> yet if there is an easy way out, but I suppose it may be possible to set
> up a dummy tap with the same MAC and IP address as the base Ethernet
> device and duplicate broadcasts and packet directed to the host there,
> obviously assuming the administrator does not block this in firewalling..
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Alas, the accepted solution to allow pcap programs to talk to the host is to
use tuntap to create a tap device and connect the program to the tap device
instead of the real ethernet device.