qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32

From: Steve D. Perkins
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:41:23 -0400

Paul Brook wrote:

Are you sure you included the correct patch?

I don't see anything win32 specific about this patch. AFAICS it's just the gcc4 patch *that I wrote* and posed some time ago.
Both cygwin and mingw is still using gcc3.4.x, so it shouldn't be necessary.

Paul -

Please don't think I'm trying to "plagiarize" or steal anyone else's credit. I've been talking about this patch for some time, in posts to the QEMU forum at "http://qemu.dad-answers.com/"; and in the "Applying windows source patch to CVS?" post to this mailing list on 7/27. When I was trying to build QEMU 0.7.0, I found a patch at "http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/PortingTips-en.html"; for the 0.6 codebase... and I made a few modifications to it for 0.7.0. Yesterday, I went through the same exercise to update it for QEMU 0.7.1. I've changed some of the calls to the "error()" function in "dyngen.c", but otherwise the main patch content remains the same.

I've been very up-front about the origins of the patch, and haven't tried to pass myself off as the original author. However, the original author hasn't posted an updated patch since the 0.6 generation of QEMU, so you could say I've "adopted" and kept it maintained for the past two QEMU releases. My INITIAL desire, before I started, was to contact the original patch author and ask him/her to update it... but the website listed above includes no names or contact information at all. Believe me, I am NOT looking to be "The Official GCC/Win32 Guy" and continue maintaining this patch forever... my ideal wish is for the changes to go into the main codebase so future patching isn't necessary for anybody!

I'm not sure what you mean about the patch "not being necessary". I haven't tried building with Cygwin, so I can't speak for that platform. My build environment is MinGW with the MSYS shell (to avoid onerous licensing issues and DLL dependencies), and I can assure that the patch very much is necessary for the current release of QEMU with the current release of MinGW. QEMU does compile fine on Win32 with GCC 3.4, but the executable crashes immediately when you try to run it. By applying the patch I just posted, you get an executable that compiles and runs properly (I've been running a FreeBSD environment just fine with a build from the 0.7.1 patch I just posted). I get the impression that QEMU is not really being tested on the Win32/GCC platform, so the team (is there a "team" or is it really just Fabrice?) may not be aware that support is still lacking for that platform. Unfortunately, that is the case... but the patch I just posted corrects the issue, and that's why I'm encouraging its inclusion in the main codebase.

Steve