qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:00:12 +0100

> I guess this means that VDE would have to provide a kernel-layer
> component which grabs the packets from eth0 and provides the faked eth0
> for the Host OS...

You can do all this with the standard linux tools. Something like the
following(untested) script. ifrename is part of the Linus Wireless Tools. If
your distro doesn't have it you can download it here:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

Paul

#! /bin/sh
# Take eth0 down so it can be renamed
ifdown eth0
# Rename eth0, and create a new bridge interface called eth0
# This avoids having to change host network configuration.
ifrename -i eth0 -n realeth0
brctl addbr eth0
brctl addif eth0 realeth0
# bring realeth0 up without an IP so the bridge can use it
ifconfig realeth0 0.0.0.0 up
# bring the new eth0 up
ifup eth0
# Start vde, and add it to the bridge.