qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel]kqemu static link?

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel]kqemu static link?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:23:28 -0400

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 05:37:28PM +0200, Thomas Irlet wrote:
> Is it possible to statically link the kqemu module into the linux
> kernel 2.6.x)? (because I would like to disable loadable modules).
>
> If yes, how can I do it?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Thomas Irlet

It is technically possible. The binary-only part of kqemu is just the core, the
wrapper that turns it into a kernel module is released with source code. So, you
can simply edit the right kernel makefiles and put the right files in the right
places, and possibly make a few tiny changes in the source of the kqemu linux
wrapper, and you should be able to get it to compile in statically. However,
I have never done this and can not offer you advice on how to do it.

Also, it may not legal to release the modified kernel source tree because you
are
mixing GPL code with closed source (keeping the kernel for yourself only should
be ok though).