qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA in Windows 2000/XP/2003

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] DMA in Windows 2000/XP/2003
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:56:26 +0200

Víctor Córcoles López wrote:

Hello developers. My English is not good.

I see that DMA in Hard Disks in guest OS Windows 2000/XP/2003 is not avalaible, it run in PIO mode.

How can activate UDMA mode for hard disk ?

I don't think you'd get any advantage of activating DMA inside the qemu guest-OS, as qemu has to proxy all rw-access into a file anyway, unless you pass an actual device/partition to qemu. Besides qemu is emulating the complete pci bus, which cannot use features of actual hardware in the machine (e.g. your hdd or features your chipset provide). I guess it would be possible to emulate uDMA inside the vm, too, but it's likely to even slowdown the emulation.

So long,
Jan