qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO

From: John Coiner
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:03:32 -0400

Brad Campbell wrote:
With this patch qemu will not boot the qcow files but will boot the base images (I copy them and then try to boot to test). As soon as I patch -R && make, qemu will boot the qcow files no problems..

Let me clarify that..
qemu-img create -f qcow xp.img 4G
qemu -cdrom xp.iso -hda xp.img -boot d (Install XP from scratch)
qemu-img create -b xp.img -f qcow xp2.img
qemu -hda xp2.img

This gives me an invalid hard disk error. If I revert the patch I can boot from xp2.img with no issues. With or without the patch I can boot from xp.img.

I have tried installing XP with and without the patch and that works fine..

Regards,
Brad

Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce this.

The problem was due to missing Makefile dependencies. The patch modifies 'block_int.h', which is #included in several '.c' files. The file 'block.c' recompiled at 'make' time, but 'block-qcow.c' didn't. The resulting '.o' files had different opinions about what a BlockDriverState struct looked like, which broke the qcow code.

Unaware of this, I added a printf to 'block-qcow.c', and the printf fixed the problem! The man page for printf doesn't mention this... and then I was enlightened. :P

To be safe, try a 'make clean ; make install' and you should be all good. Let me know if not.

-- John