qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Installing Debian PPC HOWTO

From: Vesselin Peev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Installing Debian PPC HOWTO
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:46:18 +0300

Hello list,

(Special thanks to Martin from http://www.olifantasia.com, without whose valuable resources /stepping stones/, provided at his site, I would have dropped the matter.)

I've written a HOWTO on how to install from scratch Debian Sarge PPC on QEMU, accompanied with a suitable (with Debian patches) 2.4 kernel with DHCP networking and Ext3 journalling enabled, so the OS would be convenient for serious usage. Martin asked me to make a HOWTO, and a recent mailing list post ("Looking for Debian PPC image") as well as a lack of information on the QEMU user forum and the rest of the Net indicates that it should be useful to others.

Find it here: http://www.overselfresearch.com/kb/qemu.html

There is one thing missing, please help complete it -- local X configuration in step 7. I have tried several combinations, e.g. using fbdev in X, enabling Cirrus framebuffer support in the kernel configuration under "Console Drivers", and "vga=ask video=cirrusfb" kernel boot options, but a black screen when booting the emulated PReP machine is all. I know from Jocelyn Mayer's website that he has managed to run it successfully with the framebuffer, which prompted my attempts at that, but there are no other details on his site (I have tried contacting him a week ago, hopefully he reads the list).

Hope this helps and thanks in advance for your consideration. Awaiting feedback,
Vesko