qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player

From: Henning Sprang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:10:40 +0200

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 23:58 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 12:48 +0200, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> >
> > > I don't like it. It's just a "player" and the images can't be written.
> >
> > use qemu-img to create the disk image.
>
> That is just creation. I think Stefano meant that you cannot use the guest
> OS to write to that image.

But that's not correct. I tried it and could write data on the disk,
shut down the vm, start it again, have the data still there.

I found it a bit ugly that after shutting down the player, my usb disk
was unmounted on the host system - not exactly an effect I want.

I am not sure if it's technically possible and then legal to create
images for running in vmware player with qemu. It would be great,
though, because we can expect lots of people using it, it's perfect for
all kinds of demos, for example those that get distributed on live cd's
until now.

Henning