qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:30:08 +0100

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Oliver Gerlich wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't these two things be solved by using SDL inside the GTK window?
>> In current qemu, there are neither fullscreen nor mouse moving problems.
>

> Depending on the X server settings, certain modes aren't available in
> SDL.  In particular, on the default X install in Ubuntu on my system,
> there is not a mode to handle the standard console mode in Linux which
> means you get a centered console with large bars on the edges.  It's
> very ugly.
>
> The mouse problem occurs less frequently in SDL because of the fact that
> you're always at native resolution (so the mouse moves around the screen
> almost as quickly as it normally would.  It's definitely reproducible.
> If you disable the mouse hiding in SDL mode, and you move the mouse
> slowly from one edge to another, you'll hit the box.
>
>> Fabrice mentioned some time ago that SDL isn't the best choice on
>> Windows because of keyboard issues... Is that still the case?
>

> Probably.  I was hoping to punt on the issue of Win32 and instead rely
> on a native Win32 GUI.  I'm not sure GTK on Win32 is going to be that
> great from a performance perspective.
>
> FWIW, I'm going to benchmark the my latest optimizations for fullscreen
> mode and post the results later today.  If scaling can be done with
> little performance impact, I think it's clearly the right thing to do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori
>
>> Oliver
>>
>> PS: Arrg... no need to wonder why the mail doesn't appear on the list
>> - I replied to Jim only. Here it is again.

I agree that a software scaling mode is useful, for the reasons you
stated. But nonetheless I think a resolution-switching fullscreen mode
is useful as well :) eg. because software scaling doesn't look as nice
as native resolution (at least on CRTs, it's unnecessaryly pixelated or
blurred). And if we would have a completely different GUI implementation
for Windows anyway, the GTK GUI could indeed use direct X11 calls (or
the like) to switch resolutions.

So, I pledge to include both methods (software scaling and switch to
native resolution) in the GUI and decide which mode to use based on user
preference or some clever algorithm :D

Regards,
Oliver