qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support

From: Trev Jackson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:00:40 +0000

> > Thanks for the answer
> >
> > The snapshot appears to be 46 bytes in size.
>
> Wow... looks like Fabrice stripped down Qemu to its bare minimum during
> the past days ;)
>
> Seriously, probably the script which downloads the CVS version every day
> broke somehow... But I can confirm that it still worked on 2005-12-07,
> though.
>
> > I would be grateful if you would let me know how to download from CVS or
> > how to download the snapshot without it downloading only 46 bytes.
>
> On the Qemu website, on the links page, there's a link to the page which
> also hosts the Qemu CVS. The quick link to the relevant page is probably
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=qemu
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Hi

I have now downloaded the CVS version of the driver.

I have edited parallel.c and uncommented the #define DEBUG_PARALLEL so that
the parallel port reads and writes are reported.

I have run qemu as follows:

$ qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -net none -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img 1>printer.txt

The file printer.txt contains lots of printer port reads and writes i.e. it is
1216 lines long, however I am still getting the "scanner not found" error
from windows.

I believe the scanner driver is expecting the parallel port to be set to EPP,
mode. I don't know enough about the parallel port and the emulation software
to know what it is emulated as at the moment.

From the looks of the file a lot of the reads occur 8 times with the same
value read back all 8 times, so I would guess the code is expecting the value
to change and it isn't so I am not sure if it is a speed problem - although I
wouldn't have thought so because the scanner worked OK on my old 200MHz
computer and  my current computer is more than 10 times faster than that so
the emulation layer shouldn't slow it down that much.

Any further advice would be gratefully received.

Best Regards

Trev