qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:42:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Jamie Lokier wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
I find it strange that ARM would restrict emulation of their architecture
-- that could hardly pose a threat to their business, I would say.

Unfortunately, I don't. ARM probably makes quite a lot of money from
their development tools (compilers, debuggers, simulators) as well as
actual chips, and they have been an extensive user of software patents,
even in the EU where they are probably not valid.

How about we target OpenCores instead of ARM?

I like the idea, but do you know of anyone using OpenCores devices
implemented in silicon?  It seems to me the motivation for ARM
emulation is to be able to simulate embedded devices that people may
feasibly end up using.

IMHO majority of embedded devices is still ARM7TDMI based and this instruction set (ARMv4 IIRC) should be emulated well in Qemu. Also please have a look at www.skyeye.org project to see how other projects do emulation for actual embedded devices.

Cheers,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden