qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.8.1 and vnc

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.8.1 and vnc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 8:24:36 -0400

---- Troy Benjegerdes <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 09:06:20AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > Ben Taylor wrote:
> > >I'm seeing quite a few bugs on Qemu 0.8.1 with the vnc feature
> > >
> > >1) Sparc based system comes up in distored colors (foreground of a Damn
> > >Small linux
> > >iso comes up in yellow, instead of white)
> > >

> > This is a know problem.  qemu doesn't give any indication that the guest
> > is storing pixels in big endian mode.  A proper fix is on my TODO list.
> >
> > >2) When it bounces from the initial syslinux text to the grahpical screen,
> > >it leaves the text
> > >in the top left corner not cleared. (to the boot: at the bottom)
> > >

> > Yeah, I've noticed something similar myself.  It's on the TODO list (see
> > vnc.c).
> >

> > TightVNC doesn't support the desktop resize encoding.  Try RealVNC.
>
> I am running the current CVS code and seeing endian color problems with
> a x86 machine running qemu and a PPC linux machine running
> xrealvncviewer.
>
> This is the debian xvncviewer package version 3.3.7-7.
>
> Also, how does one get to the qemu console with the vnc?

I usually start qemu with "-S -monitor stdio -vnc 0" which gives me a (qemu)
prompt
on  the starting terminal, then I start vnc and then type "cont" in the monitor
window
(starting terminal)

However, another buglet WRT to vnc that I've found is this.  When I do the
following
from a Solaris/Sparc host, and display on a Solaris/X86 client using vncviewer,
I get the following corruption (see attachment Solaris-sparc-qemu-monitor.png)

> The vnc server also seems to occasionally send invalid vnc packets, and
> the screen resize does not seem to work. Included is a log of starting up
> and exiting because a bad message.. The bad message problem occurs with
> Chicken of the VNC on MacOS X as well.
>

> VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Sep 25 2004 21:02:46
> Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
> Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
> VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
> No authentication needed
> Desktop name "QEMU"
> Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
> VNC server default format:
>   32 bits per pixel.
>   Least significant byte first in each pixel.
>   True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
> Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 24.
> Got 256 exact BGR233 colours out of 256
> Using BGR233 pixel format:
>   8 bits per pixel.
>   True colour: max red 7 green 7 blue 3, shift red 0 green 3 blue 6
> Throughput 20000 kbit/s - changing to Hextile
> Throughput 20000 kbit/s - changing from 8bit
> Using viewer's native pixel format:
>   32 bits per pixel.
>   Most significant byte first in each pixel.
>   True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
> Rect too large: 69x1 at (705, 577)

I am definitely seeing this happen with the Solaris/Sparc host and Solaris/X86
Real vncviewer.

Ben