qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] fpu problems with qemu-system-sparc

From: Joerg Platte
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] fpu problems with qemu-system-sparc
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:50:43 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 18. Mai 2006 19:53 schrieb Blue Swirl:
> >I've checked a lot of the executed instructions in qemu and cannot find
> > any problems up to now. Does somebody else has an idea what to check? The
> > test program simply adds two float variables (fadds-instruction) in a
> > loop and this crashes the program reproducible.
>
> Some instructions trap when FPU is disabled, and they shouldn't, like
> stfsr?

I don't think so. I analyzed the core-file after the crash. Sometimes the user
stack was corrupt or a register value invalid and the crashing instruction
was not a FPU instruction. Hence, I think one simulated instruction somehow
overwrites parts of the userstack or maybe the kernel itself does it because
of a wrong behavior of the simulated hardware.

I'm not sure where to add more debugging output, because in qemu a segfault is
hard to detect and in the kernel I have no idea, if all executed instructions
are correctly translated... And unfortunately this crash is reproducible, but
timing dependent. It does not always happen at exact the same position and
therefore, I can't check, for example, for an invalid register value to see,
when it is loaded...

regards,
Jörg