qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu qemu-doc.texi

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu qemu-doc.texi
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:47:12 +0100

> Where would I (start to) look for the reasons behind this? Is this
> something that needs to be "fixed" on the ARM side (i.e. fix the location
> where the ARM code looks for the environment)?

Look at the code in load_elf_binary that uses target_mmap to map the loadable
segments into memory. The page size I'm referring to below is the target page
size (4k for qemu-arm). target_mmap is more-or-less a wrapper around normal
mmap that deals with the corner cases and differences in page size when
host != target.

There are two issues:
- mmap requires the file offset be a multiple of the page size.  This is
relatively easy to fix. If the file data is misaligned create an anonymous
mapping and pread the data.

- The code assumes the VMA of the segments after roundind to a page boundary
do not overlap. ie. a single memory page will contain data from no more than
one segment. Fixing this is more complicated and probably involves merging
the regions used by sections with "overlapping" pages.

Paul