qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Joe Lee
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:53:49 -0400

Why on earth would we want to make a crippled version of qemu?

AFAIK "Creating" a VMware virtual machine is just making a config file.
qemu doesn't have config files, so your question makes no sense.
Well, I was not thinking or suggesting of a crippled qemu version. I asked the question because there are some software appliances which are pre-built and pre-configured apps that are built on a LAMP stack and packaged as a single image type file. This image file can be downloaded and run on a product similar to VMware Player. This is used for quick demo
purposes of an application with out the need to have a full virtual machine.

I am totally new to VM technologies but have played around with VMware and the player as well. So, my question was just an inquiry to see if that capability would make sense on a qemu based product that is open source.

However, thanks and appreciated your comments/feedback!

joe