qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QCow v2

From: Christian MICHON
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QCow v2
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:16:24 +0200

ok, I used "split -b 4k" on a 7716864 bytes qcow.
I used standard lzma compression and get 1884 7z-clusters
with a grand total of 3558617 bytes (indeed the gain is small).

The standard zlib qcow gave 3704180 bytes...

Does it make sense to have a cluster based compression ?
Indeed the actual compression is not so impressive then (zlib
or not zlib based).

On 7/4/06, Christian MICHON <address@hidden> wrote:
sorry I was not clear here...

On 7/4/06, Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:
> > how to split into individual clusters a qcow image ?
>
> A good approximation is to use an uncompressed qcow image, or even a raw
> image in which you exclude the empty clusters.
>
> Fabrice.

how do I cut into the actual 4k clusters an existing qcow image ?
any bash script or executable to perform this trick ?

--
Christian

--
Christian