qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Trouble with GDB & Some 'Can it be done' Debugging ques

From: Steve Ellenoff
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Trouble with GDB & Some 'Can it be done' Debugging questions
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:11:48 +0000

Thanks for your help!! That goes for all the people who responded on the thread! :)

Turns out, I just didn't understand what the vmlinux part meant. Being totally new to linux, I just thought that was the required syntax for using gdb with qemu. I didn't realize it was supposed to be the name of the file containing the debug symbols.

The reason it was also a bit confusing was that in my case I don't have source code or debug symbols for the code I'm trying to trace through qemu, so for me I found out the correct syntax is just to call gdb with no parameters.

When I did that, it properly displayed all the correct instructions (in assembly of course) at each memory location I wanted to view.

I think the reason the instructions weren't decoding was because I had called GDB with vmlinux, but that of course, didn't exist, and it confused gdb.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Steve