qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Adding a device into Qemu ARM

From: Tieu Ma Dau
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Adding a device into Qemu ARM
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 02:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I'm running Qemu ARM system and Debian Sarge on it.
I try to add a new device, for example a LED, into Qemu ARM system. And I think that I must do the following steps:
1. Make a file led.c which simulates this LED, edit the file vl.c and vl.h
2. In file integratorcp.c, function integratorcp_init(), I must register a MEMORY SPACE for this LED (as the PL011 UART at 0x16000000)
3. Write a character device driver; this device driver will function on the MEMORY SPACE of the LED device. And this device driver has a MAJOR NUMBER
4. Make a character device file with the corresponding MAJOR NUMBER: mknod /dev/my_LED c MAJOR_NUMBER 0
5. Write an application which opens the file /dev/my_LED and write on it (to communication with my LED on Linux)
OR: for example "echo -n a > /dev/my_LED" to communication with my LED on Linux

I find that some of you who added the devices into Qemu ARM system, but I don't sure the steps I think above is as you 've done or not? Please confirm it for me, thank a lot!

Furthermore, I have some questions on the steps above:
+ step 2: which interrupt I can register with the PIC? Or in my case, it must not?
+ step 2: which value of MEMORY SPACE I can register for this LED?
Best regards,
Tieu

Do you Yahoo!?