qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?

From: Brian Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:04:21 -0400

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 19:32 +0200, Marco Matthies wrote:
> Blue Swirl wrote:
> > BTW, we could easily design and implement an ideal CPU just for Qemu
> > purposes. It could be unlike any existing hardware, for example with
> > zero or thousands of registers. The problem would be making a compiler
> > for the CPU, also porting some OS to it. Any GCC and Linux guru
> > volunteers? CS research projects?
>
> How about MMIX?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMIX
>
> There is already a simulator/assembler here:
> http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/mmix-news.html
>
> Marco

It might not be a bad idea, especially since MMIX is well documented and
fairly simple.

However, since it doesn't have real devices (Just traps to do OS-like
things), it'd probably be good to have a simple CPU with some simple
devices so newcomers can copy it as a starting point for other projects.

Brian