qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SUNWqemu-0.8.2,REV=2006.10.14-sol8-sparc-opt.pkg releas

From: Martin Bochnig
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SUNWqemu-0.8.2,REV=2006.10.14-sol8-sparc-opt.pkg released
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:26:44 +0200

I'm back.

Blue Swirl wrote:

> Linux libc uses %g1 without saving in setjmp, maybe Solaris has the
> same problem. I haven't found any free three global registers which
> would work. Using local registers would solve this problem, but then
> no functions outside the TB couldn't access T0-2.
>
> Maybe we could use global registers for T0 and T1 and env->T2 for T2?

Yes.
Something like that will work.
I just booted Win95 on Aurora 1.0 sparc32 .

>> The Solaris_sparc guest 32bit kernel still died a month ago, did you
>> make progress?
>

> Is there an installation disk somewhere for sparc32? I thought the
> last Solaris supporting V8 CPUs was Solaris 8, which was very much not
> free.

The use is free (RTU license).
Solaris 9 was the last public version with a 32bit sparc kernel.
It can be downloaded for free after a quick registration from sun.com.

>> Are there ways to lern from the now open source sun4v's OBP to see, what
>> SUNW's proprietary OBP handles differently, when compared to the public
>> ieee1275-1994 standard or other implementations like SmartFirmware?
>> (wasn't there a "SUNW-compatibility" #ifdef in SmartFirmware [I don't
>> have that code] ? )
>

> Someone with advanced Forth skills could try to find the differences.
> The sun4v model is a bit different from sun4u and sun4m, OBP just
> talks to the hypervisor.

I'm lerning Forth, but I don't have advanced skills.

>> May it be possible, to employ SUNW's sun4v OBP in a potential future
>> sun4v emulation target (i.e. as -M option of sparc64-softmmu)?
>

> Sure. The existing unfinished sun4u code could be enhanced with the
> needed sun4v features. But there is still much to do with the common
> stuff, like adding VIS instructions, interrupt handling and PCI. Maybe
> you could try to add sparc_v8plus support for the Linux user emulator
> to polish the CPU? Or add emulation for Linux userland on Solaris?

Maybe next year in summer.
Sorry, the new semester just started yesterday.
I _have_ to do more for university.
I already had to drop other intended projects because of that.

I can look into it, when I next find some time, if any.

###

I will remove the demo images from the actual SUNWqemu package (maybe
offering separate guest image packages).
Then the new pkg will meet the space requirements necessary for
uploading it to OpenSolaris.org.

SUNWqemu:
Building new Solaris10_U1 based packages for sparcv9 and x64.
(only offering sparcv8plus on sparc as Solaris 10 already requires
UltraSPARC)

CSWqemu:
Solaris 8 users will have legacy support in the upcoming CSW package.

Questions criticism, feedback?

Regards,
--Martin