qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:44:05 +0100

> Basically, gcc changed in a way that broke qemu.  There's been an open bug
> report in gcc ever since, but the GCC developers really aren't interested
> in backwards compatability.

That's not entirely true. There are two problems:

- qemu makes assumptions about the layout of the code gcc generates. This
works by chance on older gcc. This effects all hosts, and is not a gcc bug.

- qemu reserves several registers for its own use. On architecturally crippled
hosts (ie. x86) this means we hit really obscure gcc bugs on x86 because gcc
runs out of registers. This is a gcc bug, but is also relatively easy to
workaround.

Paul