qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] problem with 64/64 guest running grub

From: Mike Day
Subject: [Qemu-devel] problem with 64/64 guest running grub
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:53:26 -0500

I'm having a problem with qemu (cvs and 0.8.2) running on a 64 bit
athlon x2 with a 64 bit guest. When installing edgy in a new 64-bit
guest, the guest always freezes when installing grub on the boot
partition.
This only happens with a 64/64 system. I can run the guest in qemu (as opposed
qemu-system-x86_64) and use grub to install itself, but if I try to do
the same thing with qemu-system-x86_64 it hangs.
After generating a trace file and stepping through the hang in gdb it
looks like the guest is getting overwhhelmed with interrupts. It
reminds me of a situation where some device driver is forgetting to
issue an eoi and the interrupt line is remaining on, which means that
the guest can never make any progress advancing the instruction
pointer.

I've placed a compressed log file at
http://www.ncultra.org/qemu.log.tgz

I'd be happy to spend some more time runnign this down - if anyone has
any suggestions on how I should proceed I'd be grateful.
Mike

--
Mike Day
http://www.ncultra.org