qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] KQEMU docs: fedora udev rules

From: Tony Nelson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] KQEMU docs: fedora udev rules
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:26:18 -0500

(Sending again after subscribing.)

In the KQEMU docs at <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html>
section 2.2 "QEMU Accelerator Installation for Linux", the references to
/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions no longer apply to Fedora Core
4 and up, as permissions are now part of the regular rules.  Instead of a
line "kqemu:root:root:0666" in a .permissions file, the udev-rules entry
'KERNEL=="kqemu", NAME="%k", MDOE="0666"' is needed:

    []# echo 'KERNEL=="kqemu", NAME="%k", MDOE="0666"'\
        >/etc/udev/rules.d/60-kqemu.rules

I've read that udev used to stop at the first matching rule, so at that
time, a "10-" rule would have been needed.  Udev now processes all matching
rules unless an OPTIONS="last_rule" is found, so this rule file must follow
50-udev.rules in order not to be overridden by its 'KERNEL=="*",
OWNER="root" GROUP="root", MODE="0600"'.

Don't confuse the udev rules with /etc/security/console.perms.d.
Console.perms* only apply to the user logged in at the console, while qemu
can be used remotely or at the console.  At present, on FC6, no rule in
console.perms* will match kqemu, so no rule needs to be added there.

Note that I am an absolute novice at writing udev rules, and that as I sent
this from my old Mac, I have retyped everything from the linux box.  This
is the only place I found to write about the web site / docs.  I'm
preparing to submit some scripts to automate kqemu setup before running
qemu (load kqemu tainting kernel, set /dev/shm size, set rtc), so tell me
if I'm off-topic.  Is there a bug reporter I should be using instead?
TonyN.:'                       <mailto:address@hidden>