qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Live Migration

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Live Migration
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:51:12 +0100

I looked at your patch and it is OK for me. The 'ssh:' implementation is a nice trick. In order to be usable on win32, it is still needed to implement a more portable system with a TCP connection.

The dirty flag 0x04 is unfortunately used by kqemu - I should have documented it ! You can use 0x08 for the live migration.

Regards,

Fabrice.

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Howdy,

I wanted to post a draft of my QEMU live migration patch. I think there's a lingering memory allocation problem. I also need to implement ARP forwarding and a TCP transport stream.

However, I thought I'd post an initial version in case anyone wants to play around with it.

Once you apply the patch, make sure you've got it on both machines. For my setup, I've got a common NFS share mounted in /mnt. Then I run:

qemu -hda /mnt/win2k.img -monitor telnet:0.0.0.0:1025,server,nowait -vnc :2

Then, I connect to the monitor and execute:

(qemu) migrate ssh://woolly

When the migration completes, the monitor command will finish and then I can connect to the machine on woolly:2.

The ssh command will be derived from argc/argv so it's important to ensure that the -hda path is valid on both machines.

All three patches are required and should be applied in order of: qemu-apic-save-restore.diff qemu-file.diff qemu-migration.diff

Regards,

Anthony Liguori