qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation

From: Daniel Silverstone
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:51:20 +0100

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 18:45 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> A few issues with the patch, which I think need to be resolved before it can
> be applied:
>
> - You're using global structures to store machine state.
> While it's debatable whether you'll ever have more than one s3c2410, I think
> it's definitely still worth allowing for this possibility, and encapsulating
> the state in a structure, like all the other hardware emulation does.

Yes, I concur, this is my next goal.

> - For the device emulation (dm9000 and ide, maybe others) you should use
> pic_set_irq_new, instead of passing a separate set_irq function. Other ARM
> boards already support arbitrary routing of interrupts via hw/arm_pic.[ch].

pic_set_irq_new appears to be missing from trunk unless I'm mistaken or
confused. However hw/irq.[ch] seemed like a nice place to start, so I've
made the s3c2410x_irq stuff use that, and ported all the other drivers
we wrote to this. It has unfortunately added more global state for the
s3c2410x which I will work on factoring into a new structure next.

> - usb_ohci_mmap_init should look more like (or even be the same function as)
> usb_ohci_init_pxa.

I am now using usb_ohci_init_pxa for this.

> What is the licence for ABLE? Would we be able to distribute it with qemu?

ABLE is not going to be distributable *with* qemu, however it may be
possible to ensure that the licence is such that anyone wishing to use
ABLE with qemu will be allowed to in a free-beer sense by downloading it
from Simtec's website.

Would you mind casting your eye over the attached diff and tell me if I
went the right way with the IRQ stuff? I'll get on with deglobalising
(localising?) the s3c2410x state next.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                              http://www.simtec.co.uk/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895