qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw pckbd.c

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw pckbd.c
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:37:36 +0300

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/qemu/hw/pckbd.c?cvsroot=qemu&r1=1.19&r2=1.20

> > Thanks for the update.
> > Here's another small patch, based on the same idea of what is done for
> > the memory-mapped serial ports and which seems useful to implement some
> > targets: it may be needed not to register the I/O memory area in the
> > pckbd driver but let the caller do it.
> > Please take a look.
>
> Actually, I thought about adding such a feature but then decided to
> defer it until it is actually needed. OTOH, with qemu handling mmio
> at page granularity it is likely needed sooner or later, so we could
> just declare it a standard implementation feature. I am ok with it
> either way.

If you're interressed in such a feature, you may take a look of what
I've done in hw/ppc405_uc.c. There are some device sharing the same
memory page on those microcontrollers so I introduced a fake device
called mmio that allow to register multiple devices into a single page
in Qemu. I do use the serial_mm_init with the ioregister parameter set
to 0 for those designs.
This code may not be as generic as it would be if we want to make it a
standard Qemu function, but this may give a basis or ideas for it.

On Sparc32 there are several devices that would benefit from sub-page
granularity, so I vote for making this generic.