qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Windows: Redirect output to console

From: Peter Laursen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Windows: Redirect output to console
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:44:36 +0000

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, they have been of great help. I still havenøt
solved the basic problem of redirecting the output to a console, mostly
because -nographic does not work on Windows ports of Qemu...

There already are Linux operating systems that ship with screen readers
that read the graphic desktops built in, so I would only want to run
text-based operating systems (FreeBSD, for example - I've heard that is
almost pure command line and I'd like to check it out if possible. I
know tha Debian is)

Sadly, I couldn't get the -serial option to work either - here's the
command line that I used to start qemu with:

qemu.exe -L . -m 128 -hda linux.img -soundhw all -localtime -M isapc -
serial tcp:127.0.0.1:5555,server -nographic

that should, in theory, allow me to get the output into a telnet client?

I hadn't thought about piping Festival on a Windows box - but I'd like
to see if I can get this to work first before I try that.

Any other suggestions or anything else I could try?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you very much for your
help.

Best regards,

Peter.

> Hi Peter,
>
> there already exists a QEMU command line option -nographic which
> disables graphical output and redirects the first serial port
> of the emulated machine to the console.
>
> With QEMU running Linux in text mode, this works fine - you will
> "see" the boot messages and can run a shell or any text application
> from the console, so it should be possible to analyse this output
> with a screen reader.
>
> QEMU can also redirect any serial port to pipes, so some
> speech synthesizer like "festival" could be connected directly.
>
> This URL describes the command line options -serial and -nographic:
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC10
>
> I have no idea how you can access graphical interfaces like MS
Windows.

> Stefan
>
> Peter Laursen schrieb:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have downloaded the 0.9.0 version of the Qemu source code and
managed
> > to compile it using MinGW and MSYS. But I face a problem with the
> > compiled binary.
> >
> > I am blind and therefore need to redirect the output from the guest
OS