qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Tracing function calls

From: Simon Peter
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Tracing function calls
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:28:39 +0200

Hi,

is it possible to log some values from memory every time the
instruction counter hits a certain value?

Effectively, I want to achieve what would be called a tracepoint in
GDB. Since tracepoints seem not to be implemented with QEMU, I would
like to do a quick hack that just logs the variables that I would like
to trace.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems: I tried to add a printf() into the
gen_intermediate_code_internal() function in target-i386/translate.c,
right before the breakpoint handling code. The code logs the correct
values, but it gets called by far not as often as it should be. If I
connect GDB through the network interface and set a breakpoint at the
position that I'd like to trace, the breakpoint (and suddenly, also my
logging code) is hit far more often.

How can I get my code getting called as often as it should be? What am
I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Simon