qemu-devel

Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: Storing command line options in images

From: Philip Boulain
Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: Storing command line options in images
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:21:42 +0100

On 13 Aug 2007, at 20:39, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
Instead of inventing great and wonderfully complicated schemes, the
most sensible way I can think of is to recycle a feature which is now
implemented in the GNU toolchain, and apparently stems from Windows:
  qemu @qemu.cfg

I'm not familiar with that. Is it just GNU bash shorthand for qemu `cat qemu.cfg` ?

I wanted an image to be self-contained as much as possible.
That's what I set to achieve.
Which tends to collect all the complexity in a single piece.
That seems to be the common problem of the option discussed here.

As far as I can tell, this is desirable for easy distribution of images to other machines; this is pretty much my only objection to the 'directory' idea, which is otherwise a nice, clean solution. (If not, I can't really see what's wrong with a one-liner sh script alongside the image, which is basically what has been reinvented.)

All that said, I rethought Anthony's idea of storing plain text in the
image and with proper tools, it can work out.
Requiring "proper tools" doesn't leave much of a point for plain text.

Correct, but qemu's command-line arguments (and it makes sense to use the same syntax for embedded ones, such that the parser can be re- used) /are/ plain text. Still, it's probably worth thinking of it as a shebang and a serialised (subset of) argv[], rather than /a command line/. In particular, you can avoid having to do sh's job of splitting and escaping again.

LionsPhil