qemu-devel

Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: Storing command line options in images

From: Jorge Lucángeli Obes
Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: Storing command line options in images
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:39:04 -0300

On 8/14/07, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 20:39 +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Jorge Lucángeli Obes wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > When I read Avi's TODO, I basically thought about getting rid of the
> > > long command lines I had to store in scripts. I wanted to write that
> > > command line once, and then forgetting about it, until I needed to
> > > change it.
> >
> > Instead of inventing great and wonderfully complicated schemes, the
> > most sensible way I can think of is to recycle a feature which is now
> > implemented in the GNU toolchain, and apparently stems from Windows:
> >
> >   qemu @qemu.cfg
> >
> > where qemu.cfg is a file which contains the command line arguments.
> > (This is also low-maintenance, as it allows to re-use the existing
> > parser. No need for duplicated logic.)
>
> In this case, it's also just as easy to make a shell script.  I think an
> important goal here is to automatically associate the options for a VM
> with the actual disk image.  It's not just about storing said options in
> a file.

On my 64-bit Xubuntu Feisty I get:

qemu: could not open hard disk image '@config'

Anyways, as Anthony said, we would like to have only one file
describing the VM. Since we already have the disk image, we were
looking for ways to reuse that image for this purpose.

I did not know about '@config', and if I can get it to work, I like it
better than a shell script. However, I think it does not completely
solve the problem. It still means two files per VM.

Cheers,
Jorge