qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu images executable (and store command line a

From: Dan Shearer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu images executable (and store command line arguments in them =P)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:06:25 +0930

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:05:41PM -0400, Ben Taylor wrote:

> Personally, I'm not sure why we wouldn't just write out the command line
> data to a file tied to the primary image file

What about a compatible change to the file format: the last 1024 bytes
are either undefined, or, if a certain marker is present, an executable
commandline? (I was going to say one standard sector, then I thought of
how quickly i18n filenames add up.)

This is metadata, I have a feeling that if we think about it there will
be quite a lot of other metadata we'd like to store with the image.

> with some kind of time stamp to correlate the data from the command
> line and the last updated time of the primary image file.

If there have to be separate files I'd prefer a weak hash to timestamps
to avoid the common problems with unexpected drift and no way to
calculate which changed and why.

--
Dan Shearer
address@hidden