qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure on OS X

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure on OS X
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 04:36:41 +0200

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 17:05 +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 30.09.2007 um 16:37 schrieb J. Mayer:
>
> >> If someone has a speedup idea for the __APPLE__ case, that could
> >> still be applied separately.
> >
> > I guess there are some already defined macros in the Apple build
> > environmnet that should be used instead. But I don't know too much
> > about
> > this environment... The slowdown is really not an issue in that
> > particular case.
>
> Actually, I am now seeing that in math.h Apple itself uses
> __attribute__ ((always_inline)) for __MATH_H_ALWAYS_INLINE__ if
> __GNUC__ is defined ... so I now believe the issue is rather the
> "recursive" definition of always_inline: QEMU defines always_inline
> and it subsequently tries to replace always_inline inside the
> __attribute__(()) in math.h! Could this be it?
>

> >> Either way, if I run "qemu-system-ppc -boot d -cdrom debian-40r0-
> >> powerpc-DVD-1.iso" this is what I get:
> >>
> >> starting qemu...
> >> qemu: fatal: Unable to find PowerPC CPU definition
> >>
> >> NIP fffffffc LR 00000000 CTR 00000000
> >> Bus error
> >
> >> I haven't used it in a while; as reported earlier, it didn't really
> >> work back then either, but it worked "more", i.e. started to boot.
> >> But this is with or without the patch, so unrelated - just saying I
> >> can't confirm that this patch works 100%.
> >
> > OK, just checked and I have this problem too. Will fix it as soon as I
> > can.
> > In between, you can just try to force the CPU, adding '-cpu 750' or
> > '-cpu 604' to your command line.
> >
> > Thanks for this report !
>
> Looks better, but still does not boot:

There are known issues with the PowerPC emulation:
Prep has been broken long ago by PCI patches. One has reported the exact
patch that did break it but the ones who did that patch never felt like
he has to take care of making it work properly and I did not have time
or motivation to search more.
As far as I know, the mac99 target is the one known to run but
unfortunately some patches have broken the IDE CDROM support during this
summer. I will have to find a work-around in the firmware as I also
noticed that it was bugged when ran on real hardware. For now, I do all
my test booting on hard drive disk images or flash images (for PowerPC
405). I'm currently working on the core emulation but I will come back
to do some fixes in the hw part / firmware part soon.

[....]

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized