qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] softmmu_header: ldb_kernel vs. ldsb_kernel

From: Clemens Kolbitsch
Subject: [Qemu-devel] softmmu_header: ldb_kernel vs. ldsb_kernel
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:15:58 +0200

hi everyone!
i have a (maybe rather tricky) question:

why do you define 2 different inline load-functions in softmmu_header:

static inline int glue(glue(lds, SUFFIX), MEMSUFFIX)(target_ulong ptr)

vs.

static inline RES_TYPE glue(glue(ld, USUFFIX), MEMSUFFIX)(target_ulong ptr)

??

Obviously this is for signed/unsigned access... but why do you need it? In
case there is a TLB miss, both functions call the same function (e.g.
__ldl_mmu) --> the return value cannot differ that much.

The only difference I see (that really matters) is how the bytes are copied to
the result-pointer (i.e. using movzbl vs. movsbl)... but that's it.

If there is some deeper reason behind that - could you please point that out
to me? And if there is such a thing, why is it not necessary for storing
(e.g. stb_kernel)??

Thanks!!
Clemens