qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !

From: Milton Miller
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:10:27 -0500

On Oct 19, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 17:19 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
The small patch below fixes the IDE problem, but not the NE2000 ISA one.
Please apply.

Interesting, thanks. I'll test this and apply or check for more fixes if needed... I'll also try to check what's happening with the NE2000. Could
it be the ne2000_irq table in ppc_prep.c would not be correct ?

I started to look at ne2k also but don't remember the details. Evenutally the driver shoudl learn the interrupt thorugh the information in the device tree but I'm sure the isa driver does not presently.

It may
also be usefull to be able to use PCI network devices, if the target
runs properly, isn't it ?

It would mean the interrupt code could eb discovered easily, once we get pci to fully work.

If the proposed ROM image is best suitable to make PreP target run (and
as I don't spend a lot of time hacking OHW those days), it may also be
interesting to add a ppc_prep_rom.bin to the repository... In fact, it
was maybe not a good idea to try to use the same BIOS image on all
PowerPC targets...

The code has drawbacks, as I mentioned. Its very linux specific and the only error it finds is no load segement in the presumed elf header. It wouldn't be that hard to add some error checking and even print error to the serial. The code itself is not platform specific but the device tree attached to it is. As I said, we could link multiple copies together (one for each platform) and search until we got the right one; or just search trees based on the platform with the fixups in code specific to that tree. In that regard, this would be an option to use when using -kernel instead of being tied to the prep platform.