qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-ppc-devel] The default for char Literals diffe

From: Andre Przywara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-ppc-devel] The default for char Literals differ in signedness between platforms causing us a lot of warnings
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:59:48 +0100

Christian,

> Newer gcc versions generate warnings about implicit casts between
> different signed pointers.
> That hits a lot of qemu code at least what I saw it compiling for ppc
> or x86.
> So my question is, is there already a preferred qemu approach to get
> rid of these warnings
> either the -Wno-pointer-sign solution like in the kernel or something
> else (I did not find
> anything like that in the latest cvs snapshot or on this list)?

I fixed some of these issues in qemu at least for x86[1][2], those were commited mid of December[3] . I ported these over to Xen and posted it there[4]. I don't know what's the ultimate policy regarding these problems, my solution is:
1. Change the type whenever possible.
2. Introduce casts if 1. is not applicable or would introduce more back-castings.

Regards,
Andre.

[1] QEMU first proposal (all in one file) with comments:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-11/msg00827.html
[2] QEMU reworked version (splitted up to address multiple issues)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-12/msg00146.html
[3] QEMU commits:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-12/msg00417.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-12/msg00420.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-12/msg00448.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-12/msg00452.html
[4] Xen devel post http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-01/msg00185.html

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany