qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Jonathan Kalbfeld
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:44:39 -0800

You can always do what I do --- run openvpn between my QEMU sessions and set up private networks that way ;)

On Feb 4, 2008 4:24 PM, Asheesh Laroia <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm running qemu (really, KVM) in a LAN that uses 10.0.2.x as the IP
address block for workstations.  So naturally when I booted a guest, it
couldn't access machines inside the LAN.

I tried the simplest thing that could possibly work:

       address@hidden:~/dnlds/qemu/qemu $ replace 10.0.2 10.0.3 -- `find -type f  | grep -v -i CVS `

Booting that resulted in a virtual machine that, as I had hoped, used
10.0.3.15 and could therefore successfully talk to my 10.0.2.x IPs on the
LAN.  I've attached a 'cvs diff' against HEAD that results from the above
command.

Out of curiosity, are there plans to make the user-space networking stack
IP range configurable at run-time rather than compile time?  I'm not
suggesting that this patch I attached become part of CVS HEAD necessarily;
what I do hope is that this will inspire someone else on the list to make
the handling of this more flexible, knowing now that it's fairly easy to
do. (-:

Even if not, this serves as a report to others that this trivial patch
actually does what you'd hope/expect!

-- Asheesh.

--
It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing,
but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.

Jonathan Kalbfeld
ThoughtWave Technologies LLC
www.thoughtwave.com
+1 424 354 1814