qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A bug of running existing windows xp from x86 64 linux

From: Jie Zhang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A bug of running existing windows xp from x86 64 linux host
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:34:14 +0800

Jie Zhang wrote:
I'm trying to run an existing windows xp (32 bit) partition in qemu on a
x86 64 bit linux host. I always got

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

when qemu starts.

There is no problem to run an existing windows xp in qemu on a x86 32
bit linux host. There is no problem to install and run windows xp in
qemu from a disk image file on x86 64 bit linux host.

Interestingly, I tried KVM and Virtualbox. I got the same error message
for both of them. Since both KVM and Virtualbox use some modules from
qemu, I guess the root cause is in qemu. So I first report this bug here.

More information.

The above machine is Lenovo ThinkPad T61 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 and 100G hard disk.

I just tried to run an existing windows xp partition in qemu on my pc, which is Dell Inspiron 531 and has an AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ and 80G hard disk. Qemu can boot the xp.

Jie