qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Subversion repository

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Subversion repository
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:57:58 +0000

A qemu Subversion repository has not be created and populated on savannah.
Its contents should be identical to the old CVS repository.

Pretty much everyone is agreed that Subversion is an improvement over CVS, so
as of now we should consider this to be the master repository.

Currently the old CVS repository is still present. I suggest that in the
relatively short term we either have it removed or at least made readonly.
I'm about the check in some changes to document that it is no longer active,
and catch the commit that happened since the svn repository was created.

For those that don't know subversion, it's pretty straightforward, and in most
cases works exactly the same as CVS.  A quick summary of useful commands:

- To checkout a source tree:

  svn checkout svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/qemu/trunk svn

This does an anonymous readonly checkout.  Those with commit access can make
writable checkouts using svn+ssh:// URIs as described here:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/svn/?group=qemu

- To update an existing tree to the latest revision:

  svn update

Note: Unlike CVS, this does not print the names of files that have been
locally modified.

- To view a list of locally modified files:

  svn st

- Generate a diff of local changes:

  svn diff

- Commit local changes to the server (as with cvs, requires an ssh checkout):

  svn checkin

Unlike CVS, you can't pass diff options directly to this command.  Fortunately
the defaults are more sane, and you can specify a different diif program as
described here: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnTricks

Tags and branches are created using the copy command.  Subversion does not
distinguish between tags and branches, a tag is just a branch that by
convention is placed somewhere else and is never modified.

Paul