qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A bug of running existing windows xp from x86_64 linux

From: Sergey Bychkov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A bug of running existing windows xp from x86_64 linux host
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:37:39 +0300

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jie Zhang" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: 3.04.2008 18:03

Sergey Bychkov wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jie Zhang" <address@hidden>
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

With this message - this is NT boot record could not access disk. Possibly, this is bug in qemu, but only debugger could help. Maybe, qemu doesn't provide good access to big disk, or BIOS services in bochsbios don't do this.

How can I debug this issue? Can I capture each access to disk? I'm not familiar with i386. Is all disk access thorough INT 0x13? Where can I add a dump of CHS?

Afair, loader in boot record should only use int13 services - it can use LBA or CHS version of operations.

I think, because of the message you got, failure happened in first operations that NT boot record does, after it was chainloaded by GRUB.

BTW, where the windows partition is located on disk? Maybe bochsbios doesn't support LBA yet, and your Windows is on the last partition?

Unfotunately, I can't say, how to start debugging qemu - I have never done it before.

Sergey Bychkow
ICQ: 21014758
FTN: 2:450/118.55