qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU refusing to die on FreeBSD host

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU refusing to die on FreeBSD host
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:58:52 -0600 (MDT)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Juergen Lock <address@hidden> writes:
: On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:55:39AM -0400, Jake Myers wrote:
: > Hello,
: >
: > On FreeBSD 7-STABLE, qemu refuses to exit even after the window is closed.
: > It is stuck so badly that even kill -9 fails to stop it. I looked in top to
: > see what it was doing that would cause it to lock so badly:
: >
: > PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
: > 34859 root          1  -8   20   433M   416M devdrn   9:49  0.00% qemu
: >
: > I believe the problem is that qemu for some reason refuses to stop trying
: > to use the kqemu device.
: >
: > I am running the latest qemu (0.9.1). I can provide a backtrace on request
: > (I'm really busy right now with other things, so I didn't have time to
: > attach one).
:
: Yeah this looks like its the same FreeBSD 7.x/SMP issue that I already
: got reports of (refcount problem, similar to what has already been fixed
: once, only this time it seems to be a race...)
:
:  If it is, you should be able to work around it by using an uniprocessor
: host kernel until a fix is known.

Well, reboot also works, since qemu that gets stuck will slowly be
paged out to the swap partition...  it isn't a huge deal from a
practical perspective...  Of course, this is just until the bug is
fixed...

Warner